Hey You....Yes You... Click Me..

Friday, June 12, 2009

I won't eat shark fin soup anymore

This will be a big sacrifice for me. Who doesnt like to eat shark fin soup? I bet everyone who has tried before will like it.. For me, its my favorite but right now I have to choose whether to continue eating something that I like or to continue doing something which I think is immoral. So I chose to stop.

Why do I suddenly want to stop?

Well, there was this one time I saw this news somewhere, can't recall, and the newspaper was talking about how it is taken from the shark. The fisherman will just cut off the shark's fin and will throw the 'still living' shark in the sea. The shark will eventually die due to its incapability to swim.
So what will happen?

EXTINCTION!! EXTINCTION!! EXTINCTION!!

So, Im from now on, Im saying NO to....



3 comments:

  1. Well... u can always try the fake shark fin soup. Haha. The taste is still there though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good move! :-)

    I stopped eating it 8 years ago when I knew the methods used to harvest the fins.

    The fins may come from all sharks, ( the whale shark being a plankton eater.. couldn't hurt a fly.)
    and bycatches such as dolphins may not be spared too...

    I get stares at grand dinners..
    "why arent you touching your sharkfinsoup?"

    Standing up for your cause isn't always easy..
    and you maybe setting yourself up to be an object of ridicule.. which happened to me.

    But the better way to advise others is to tell them that.

    Sharks are on top of the food chain.. The apex predator

    The food chain
    Shark >seals > sardines > Zooplankton >phytoplankton

    And animals down the food chain accumulate human waste due to water pollution... heavy metals like lead and mercury gets stored up in their bodies...never excreted

    and by the process of biomagnification
    IE a sardine eats 10000000 plankton
    a seal Takes 500 Sardines
    a Shark takes 50 seals..

    Ending up with the shark having 1000X levels of mercury in a sardine.. in Parts per million

    Excessive mercury leads to minamata disease
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minamata_disease

    Maybe you can try to use this reasoning to persuade others?

    Oh ya Sharkfin soup tastes the way it tastes not because of the sharkfin but because of the accesory materials. Sharkfin itself has not much taste. you can substitute sharkfin with anything.. and it shall taste the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -p.c- : yah..thats what Im doing now.. though its not shark fin, but its still delicious..

    Raoul: wow....thanks for the info..btw, I have few friends who has stopped eating shark fin too..

    "Oh ya Sharkfin soup tastes the way it tastes not because of the sharkfin but because of the accesory materials. Sharkfin itself has not much taste. you can substitute sharkfin with anything.. and it shall taste the same." = VERY TRUE!!!

    ReplyDelete